Not because we really love Russia right now but, for the past several years we have a "Russian" dinner night. It started a few years ago, because there happened to be 4-5 people in our ward who all served their missions in Russia (like Greg) or near and knew the language and loved the food and our friends hosted and started it. We "outgrew" their place so now we have it at our house. It's fun and the food ain't too bad. Of course everyone always brings and prepares their favorite "good" food. There's always Plov (yummy rice/chicken dish), Borscht (yummy beat soup) we always do Pelmeni with Smetana (like a homemade sausage ravioli and Russian sour cream) and lots of other things, breads, desserts sometimes - but they all say Russian desserts suck and aren't good anyways.
I love how on the annual dinner Greg hangs his Russian flag from his mission, which is actually the old Soviet flag because he's that old. Ha ha - we are always teasing him. And he on occasion he has to say "it wasn't like that when I was there." But it's fun hearing them talk about the horrible living conditions, their nasty water, mission rules, things they'd see or eat or not allowed to eat. And boy have I learned a lot. I also appreciate that Jax loves it and is learning it too. He remembers who brought what food from the year before and he knew what Borscht was. A little culture is good for everyone. In the picture you see some of us, the Mildon's and Hall's. Good company and surprisingly good food. I would write something Russian, but that's a joke. I don't even think I could get my computer to type out anything in that difficult language. Good job to Greg for keeping up his Russian over the years.

1 comment:
Fun! We just watched the Saratov Approach last night and it made me think of Greg. You guys look like you are having a great time. What a good momma you are!
Post a Comment