Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Bodie

This Bodie boy I tell ya! Today he had his Children's Dance Theater program at school. His kindergarten class did some moves for us. And they even had the parents go and join them at the end. He had a great time.


Greg and I have often been wondering where our extremely shy boy has gone? His shyness is no more I tell ya. There are moments, sure, but the kid is not the same little boy. I tell Greg that he's a mini-Greg. He is a goof ball. He volunteers for things, he likes to have fun and be silly - in front of people. His laugh is outrageous. He has totally come out of his shell. Gone are the days of clingy-ness, refusing to leave me to go into school, or primary, or someone else's car. He is a brave one now.

I am amazed with Bodie. Finally he is reading better and better. He's further along than I thought he'd be this year in school. We just had his parent/teacher conference and he really is doing so great. He's come a long way since September. I figured it would be an option to keep "the door open" on us holding him back another year so he will be the oldest in his grade instead of the youngest. But he has improved by leaps and bounds. A part of me wishes I knew we'd wait another year for 1st grade. But now I don't know, and have a feeling he will not wait and move right into the 1st grade this fall.
With some things, he definitely needs improvement and needs to learn and grow. But all his scores have increased, his teacher is surprised and happy as well with what he's doing now.  He is really bright. He's just so young for kindergarten, that's all. We were impressed when he played the game "Memory" and remembered everyone, unlike the rest of us. I was proud and didn't realize he could do that. Great memory. And he can give his older brothers some strong competition in video games.

Greg says we have underestimated him. I suppose I have to agree. I do just want whats best for him. I worry too much. And he is always on my mind. Always observing in his class, comparing to his peers, talking with Greg about my fears and observations with Bodie. There are still areas that truly concern me. I just want to know what the decision is and know it is right. It stresses me out. And I want to remember our thoughts and feelings about Bodie and school and his age. Then I can compare it to when he graduates from high school. Ha!

No comments: