Tuesday, October 23, 2012

New York

I heart NY! Love that place. It's been like 9 years since Greg and I have been there. We have been wanting to go back. And one night we were chatting with our friends Josh & Sarah Martin, (Josh is Greg's old roommate/friend from Law School in Baltimore while Josh was in Dental School) and Sarah had never been and then we thought to make it a weekend trip! And a few days later we used points and booked our trip. Greg and I are counting it as our 10 year Anniversary trip as well. Perfect.
 
On a Thursday night we flew into Baltimore so the men could see their old stomping grounds and breakfast with some friends, in the picture, (Monica & and April Robinson- everyone who has ever lived in Baltimore knows these sisters from the church ward there) and then Sarah could see it all (school, home, city). After the morning in Baltimore (there we are at Federal Hill) we headed up to Philadelphia. We had to have lunch and eat a real Philly Cheese Steak (at Gooey Looie's) and then we stopped at the Museum of Art so Sarah could see the "Rocky" statue (she loves the movies). The husbands stayed in the car and laughed at us as we had a little photo shoot on the steps. Some local guy came up to us and asked if we wanted him to take our picture together. And after about 30 photo's and posing us we were done, paid him and on our way. It was fun.
 
 
 
 We also briefly stopped at Independence Hall and saw the Liberty Bell. And I was finally able to buy a Philly fridge magnet (souvenir) to add to my collection, since the 1st time around I didn't find one back when Greg and I "fell in love" in Philly (10 years ago).

 After that we headed up to NYC. It's so great how close everything is back east. But right as we were approaching the Lincoln Tunnel in NJ. Traffic was so bad it took us almost 2 hours to get through and get to our hotel. Ugh. We grabbed some dinner at Times Sq. and headed back to our hotel (The Element).
 
Saturday morning we took the subway and taxi's of course and went to the World Trade Center Memorial. Then we hit Wall St., Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty, then we headed up to NYU area (Soho/Greenwich Vill.) and had lunch at Patsy's (Best Pizza ever!) Um, then we headed up to Central Park for the afternoon. It was such a nice day. The weather was perfect, the leaves are changing, it was the best.

After the park we walked down 5th Ave. to Rockefeller Center then ate at a hot dog stand and had the yummy Magnolia Bakery for dessert before going to see Wicked! And we LOVED Wicked! We have never seen it and heard how good it is. It did not disappoint. Sunday Greg and I had the big awesome complimentary breakfast at our hotel again, grabbed some last souvenirs for the boys before heading to JFK to go home.
 
 In these pics we are at Battery Park, lunch, our awesome "Grandpa" car rental and riding the Subway.
Times Square is great and crazy! I can't believe how much it has changed and grown in the last 10 years. It's seriously 3 times bigger than it was then. And it was so bright with all the insane amount of jumbo tron screens it seemed like day time. The length of the blocks has expanded so much. Crazy!
It was a quick trip. But it was great. Great fun with fun great people. Greg and I hadn't been away from the kids for like 4 years or so. So it was also appreciated. And thanks to Greg's mom and my parents for babysitting our children, and my sis Amy helped out too. It was nice to be back home to such a clean city and state. I love Utah too. :)

2 comments:

staci said...

Ahhh like I said on fb - so jealous. NYC is my absolute favorite city! So much to see & do. Loved your post! Made me feel like I took a little visit too! I "heart" New York! :)

Amber said...

So fun! Just realized I've only ever been to NY in the fall-it's the best!!