Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Car Hole

Here's a little story...

Over 7 1/2 years ago when we moved into our home, there was not an automatic garage door opener. So within the first month of being settled we were ready to finally get one installed. A month or two without a garage door opener was torture you know.


After we realized a problem we called a professional door guy. And he also informed us that our garage couldn't have a motor installed. Unless we "redid" our framing trusses, there was zero clearance for one and it wouldn't work.


What?!?! How many years were we planning on living here? Without an automatic opener?? Are you kidding me?! Totally bummed and upset.


Fast forward years later and having to get out of our car in all types of weather and open and close the door ourselves. When I was pregnant, 4 times, I couldn't lift it and had to have Greg or someone do it for me :), we were like cavemen.


And then for some reason a few weeks ago Greg decided to call someone and see what they could or couldn't do. And as it turns out, they sure could do something, and have one installed the next week! What the!??! Are you kidding me?!
So now, we no longer have to use manual labor to open the heavy door. (haha) We get to be lazy and push a button with our finger!! Years I've dreamed about this.
And now my life is easier. I feel like Christmas came! It is wonderful. It was a serious downer for us for so long. And now, I just smile every time I go to the garage or come home.
Now I know that many many of you out there don't even have a garage or maybe not even a carport and will probably roll your eyes at this story. But imagine having a garage and then not being able to have an opener? I hate to even think about why this didn't happen sooner. Years and years we could have had an opener. We are kicking ourselves. But really, I get mad when I think about it. So I'll just think of how lovely it is to have an automatic opener for our garage, or as Greg calls it, a car hole.

2 comments:

Spencer and Celeste said...

Yeah!!! I can only imagine how annoying it must have been all these years!

Drew & Alecia Williamsen said...

At least you had a garage all these years, those of us have had to scrape our cars off when it snowed and endure all the elements and not be able to protect our cars!! Although now, I don't care because I just got me one with a garage door opener and it works great, they are a great invention eh?