Monday, April 11, 2011

Rafe has arrived!

Meet our new little baby, Rafe Alexander. He was born at 1:20pm . His delivery was nice and quick. He is healthy and strong. He's my biggest baby at 8 lbs. 14 oz. Might as well say 9 pounds right?

He's a sucker. He loves the binki, and loves his fist.

Are there 4 boys in this picture?!?! Holy cow! 4 kids! How did that happen? We had to all go somewhere on Saturday. And we piled the whole fam in the car. 6 people. We were full. I wanted to get a picture. It's just so weird having a family of 6. The boys were so happy to meet their new baby. Jax was concerned that I was ok and if it hurt to have the baby. And Creed was telling me that the baby came out of the "male" potty part. So innocent. And Bodie can be found always trying to get to the baby, or give the baby his things, like the binki, blanket, or bottle.


Rafe certainly doesn't look like any of this brothers, or parents, we can't figure out who he looks like? Where did he come from?

His hair is thinner and lighter than any of my other children. It'll be interesting to see how he changes over the next little while.Here's brief run down of the labor. I was scheduled to be induced. I am picky about it. I wanted to go into the hospital in the morning, have the baby before noon and have it all happen the way I want. The night before it wasn't looking like I'd get in early like I wanted. So I went to bed discouraged. Then at 2:30am I woke up with a painful "Braxton Hicks", at least that's what I thought it was. At 6am I had called the hospital to bug them about when I can come in. Then I figured I'd shower and see if that starts or stops the contractions. They certainly didn't stop. Greg pointed out that I must be in labor and we should get to the hospital. I was kinda hesitant because I didn't want to be the impatient woman who was supposed to be called to come in for induction and then just shows up. I kept telling Greg I didn't think I was in labor. And I've had false labor one time in a different pregnancy. But what do I know, I've never gone into labor on my own. All of my pregnancies I have been induced, that's just the way I roll.

I had to finish getting ready and do my hair, all while having painful contractions.

So at 9am we are there at the hospital and the nurse checks me and I had dilated from a 3 on Monday and was now at a 6. My Dr. showed up at noon or so and broke my water, then at 1pm they briefly put me on Pitosin to move me along. I knew my Dr. was going back to his office after his lunch break at 1:30. So he came in at 1pm and sat and chatted with Greg and I. Then at 1:15 he checked me and said ok, let's do this. And one push/contraction, well I guess it was like 3 pushes because I had to take 2 breaths, out he came.

Everyone says how funny that I went into labor the morning I was supposed to be induced. Which is ironic, but I just figure, hey I wasn't getting my way by being able to go into the hospital in the morning like I wanted, but things worked out so I could do it my way after all.

And now, that baby is here safe and sound and yeah - I'm not pregnant anymore!

10 comments:

Kae said...

Congratulations! He is so cute.

staci said...

Congrats!!! You did it! I have been waiting to hear if you had him yet. I even asked Merlene yesterday on the phone & she said you had. Yay! What a cute little man. I went to high school with a kid named Rafe. He was a nice guy, so I approve of the name!! :) I love that picture of Greg holding him on his shoulder. Is he seriously already holding his head up? So cute! 8lbs. 14oz. huh? I kinda know what that feels like. Tyler was 8lbs. 13oz. Good job mama!! Congrats!!

Alison said...

Congrats! I love the name. Happy to hear it went well. I have been checking you blog for days wondering if he was here yet.

Wight's said...

Congratulations!! He is adorable, crazy how time flies and lo and behold you have a car full. Congrats and enjoy the little moments, because they grow up so fast. My baby just turned 4 and I can't believe it. I am so happy for you!!

Lisa said...

Look at those proud, delighted brothers! So cute! Congratulations to you and your whole family!

Elizabeth said...

Apparently I'm late to find out! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you.

Aspen said...

I heard the news through the grapevine and am so happy for you. What a handsome little man, he just completes your family perfectly. Good luck with the next few adventurous weeks!

Rebecca Banner said...

He is adorable. I have been waiting anxiously to see pictures :) Congratulations!!!!!

Rochbug said...

Congratulations Laurie! He's sooo cute! And you can't say that about most babies because lets be honest most newborn babies look weird, but he is so cute!

Lisa said...

We're glad delivery went smooth and fast. He is beautiful!